Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Innocence Lost, Paradise Regained

I raised my hand, pointed the gun, closed my eyes and squeezed the trigger.

I wasn't prepared for the loud explosive boom; nor was I prepared to absorb the seismic force of the recoil as it rocked through my prepubescent frame. I dropped to my knees and covered my face but I could still hear the horrible sucking sound of the air being dragged out of the room; then the ear shattering sound of falling glass.

We could now clearly hear the cacophonous sounds of the looters interspersed with the sounds of bullets seeking, then finding their unintended targets. As we shrank back into the shadows – me clutching the gun, my grandmother clutching me – we softly began to recite Psalm 23 - The Lord is my Shepherd.

So peeps - I've done it. I've started to take a creative writing class to see if I've got what it takes to maybe write a book one day. I had an assignment where I had to describe a childhood memory in half a page with 12 font and that's what I wrote.

Thoughts???

3 comments:

Simply Mags said...

Wow! This happened when you were younger? It must have been scary! Very well written. Look forward to reading some of your other stuff!

Scribe said...

Way cool, Rho! Absolutely love it and I'd better be one of the first to get a copy of the book.

*Akilah Sakai* said...

At first I thought it was a passage from a favorite book of yours. Wow! That was pretty damn good! I'm leaving wanting more.