Sunday, August 8, 2010

Lost in Translation

There is much to see and do here and everyday is an adventure.

One night while we were walking around, desperately trying not to go back to our hell room, I mean hotel room, we stumbled into a lovely oasis a 4.5 star hotel and therebwere signs for a day long bus tour of the main sights in Hong Kong. At 400 or 53 Canadian we would be in an air conditioned coach, get lunch and a day of festivities.

Mr. HK thought that was too expensive and instead thought that we should take the tour attached to our hotel for 328 (43cdn), I threw my hands up in the air and said tally ho.

The morning of the tour, as we sat in the lobby waiting for the bus to arrive, I had a quick thought, turned to the bride and asked this tour is in english right? As a native English speaker, she said of course it would be, he knows we don't speak Chinese.

A lady entered the lobby and said something in cantonese then left, Mr. HK said that's our tour guide let's go. Strange I thought she didn't introduce herself or say anything to us but we trudged along behind her and hopped onto a bus full of Chinese people. Of course our tour was in Chinese and Mandarin no less, which Mr. HK doesn't speak.

We trundled along behind our group all day and eventually had a good time but at every stop as I watched the english speaking tours go by, I couldn't help but wonder, would they notice me if I slipped onto their bus and took their tour with them. Hmmm!

1 comment:

Simply Mags said...

OMFG. A freakin' difference of $10??????? Does Mr. HK's ass squeak when he walks? At this point, this is where I just sign up for stuff and then tell Guy this is what we are doing....I mean, we discuss it first as to what we are looking to do, but, I don't go "shopping" for better deals. You know me. I usually stick with the assigned tour operator even though I know I am paying more. I know that Mr. HK is your tour operator here but honestly, his "tight-assedness" would really drive me around the bend. Fuck!