Thursday, August 5, 2010

My calluses have calluses

So today I had a good old fashinoned meltdown in the middle of Kowloon. I had been walking for 12 straight hours non-stop, literally. I just wanted to go back to the hotel and lay down in my chinese single bed and let my poor tootsies hang off the edge of my 5'6 bed, when our intrepid tour guide said "Let's go the night market on Temple street". I just lost it.

Now I'm flexible and adaptable as the next person but... after 2 ferry rides, 12 hours of hard walking, up hills (HK is surprisingly very hilly with incredibly steep hills) through steamy back allys, a fly by of the landmark shopping centre - very civilized place where one could have at least had a cool and refreshing beverage - a quick tour of HK's financial district, a trip to stanley market, two city bus rides, 2 tram car rides, getting drenched (all the way down to my skivvies) in a pre-monsoon rainstorm, getting stared at some more and oh yeah, being soaked by gutter rainwater while waiting for one city bus, I had enough. I was looking forward to just putting my feet up and perhaps letting one of the street massage vendors, massage my well worn feet and all I could think was not another god-dammed street market.

This is not how I vacation. I was looking forward to taking lazy afternoon strolls on the promenade (not sure which promenade), stopping in at exclusive yet affordable boutiques to look for gifts for family and friends and lazily taking in the sights and sounds of the city. Tomorrow I don't care what's on the agenda, that's the trip I'm going out to find and hell yeah, I'm gonna let some strange lady touch my feet but it'll probably be the strange lady at the Yankee spa cause mamma can't come back home with calluses.

1 comment:

Scribe said...

Poor possum! No wonder you had a meltdown! Tomorrow: pamper, purchase and repeat. Doctor's orders.