Sunday, August 8, 2010

Lunch with the mainlanders

So as part of the tour that we did, we had lunch at a restaurant which was part of the package. We stopped in a very nice part of town and I thought things were looking up. As we strolled past the Siberian fur shop, we made sharp left down a little side street and went up some stairs to a restaurant.

I should have turned around and gone to the nearby McDonald's when I saw the dead roach on the stairs but I'd promised I wasn't going to be squeamish and be a spoilt brat about everything so I soldiered up the stairs.

The restaurant was packed with people but they gave us westerners our own table so that we didn't have to do the common Chinese practice of everyone eating out of the same serving dish. Somehow we tend to be a bit squeamish about stuff like that.

When we sat down they basically threw all of the food at us. There were about 8 dishes that were placed in front of us and we had to dig in. That's where the fun started, they didn't tell us before but we had 15 mins to eat. Apparently that's how long most people take to ear and they had another group behind us waiting for the table so we had to shovel the food in and go.

I gotta say I didn't mind be because after seeing that roach on the stairs, I didn't want to have to spend another minute in that restaurant than I absolutely had to.

Onto the next stop.

2 comments:

Simply Mags said...

Hmmm two things about the 15 minute time frame:

1) After seeing the dead roach, my appetite would have been lost.

2) If I still was hungry after seeing that, I'd wolf that shit down so quickly with my eyes closed so that I couldn't see the bugs that were in my food.

Just saying........

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that you are taking all this soooooo much better than I would be. My blood pressure is rising just reading about it. JC