Thursday, August 5, 2010

The two Hong Kongs

So on my 12 hour jaunt yesterday, I noticed a couple of things there are definitely two Hong Kongs. There is A LOT of money in this city and there is a lot of poverty here as well. In rich HK, Louis Vuitton stores are in every street corner and there are a lot of mercedes, maybachs and I've never seen so many rolls Royce in my life in one place. These people have real money and wear their designer duds with real class and boy the bling - Mags, when I hit the big time you me are sooooo coming here because you would LOVE this side of Hong Kong. All of the money people live in the hills where they've built these sprawling mansions which are all gated with armed guards nonetheless.

Then there's the other Hong Kong which live 6 people in a 600sq foot living area. They are largest producers and consumers of the dollar store shit that makes it's way overseas. They are made up of people from all parts of Asia and are the working staff of rich and privileged upper classes. They live in what we would call tenement dwellings, hanging the clean clothes out to dry in the polluted, smog filled air and living one on top of each other. These are the people who have mainly come in from the rural areas trying to make it in the big city, I think they are really trying to live the Hong Kong big city dream. I wonder how many of them make it.

1 comment:

Simply Mags said...

As long as you don't make me walk my ass all over town for 12 hours straight I'd love to go with you...you know I loves me my bling!